Military veterans are viewed as ideal candidates to fill these vacancies. They often have experience with technologically advanced systems, have a sense of discipline, dedication, and team orientation, and are used to the idea of defending important assets. Some veterans already have security clearances, which are valuable for certain cybersecurity jobs. With a bit of additional training and education, these veterans can become highly sought after in the private sector.
From my experiences there is no one way to get into cybersecurity, there are many avenues to getting your first job in cybersecurity. Before applying for any security job, it is essential to understand the basics of computer networks and security. I highly recommend CompTIA Network+ and then Security+. This will give you a good foundation to build on. Just as important as these courses, is building your network. LinkedIn is an amazing resource. Building your network, connecting with other veterans in the security industry is one of the best ways to get inside tracks to possible employment, internship opportunities, and training opportunities.
- Create and/or update your LinkedIn Profile – Make connections be active in discussions.
- Groups to Join on LinkedIn are Veteran CyberSecurity Network and Veteran Mentor Network
- Start with CompTIA Network+ then CompTIA Security+ – Good Baseline programs to start. Understanding the concepts is more important than getting the certification.
- Onward to Opportunity (O2O) Free Cybersecurity training and certifications
- Fortinet Veterans Training Program
- Veterans and First Responders Training Initiative (This program will work to recruit, prepare, and place transitioning military personnel, veterans, and first responders into cybersecurity work roles protecting our nation’s Critical Infrastructure Sectors)
- SANS Veterans Cyber Academy (The SANS Veterans Cyber Academy is an intensive, accelerated training program that provides world-class SANS training and GIAC certifications to launch careers quickly and effectively in cybersecurity. The SANS Cyber Academies are 100% scholarship-based, at no cost to students.)
- USO Pathfinder Program (The program is available to active-duty service members within 12 months of their projected end-of-service date; military spouses; and veterans who are within a year of discharge.)
- Boots to Books (Providing the most comprehensive, innovative assistance to veterans, transitioning military, and their families to attain competitive education and employment opportunities.)
- VetSec (Our mission is to create a world where no veteran pursuing a career in cybersecurity goes unemployed.)
- Eleven Fifty Academy
- Google Cybersecurity Professional Certificate
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to setup a video or phone call and talk about getting into cybersecurity. I am always here to help in any way that I can.
Health and Medical Resources